No natural lawn is completely invulnerable to lawn diseases. Most are susceptible to pink patches, which leave unsightly spots throughout pristine landscapes. Comprehensive and costly lawn care is needed to manage their growth. Get rid of the problem for good when you choose to install artificial turf in Tampa, FL.
What is pink patch lawn disease?
Pink patches in natural lawns are caused by a fungus known as Limonomyces roseipelli. It typically remains in the soil undetected, surviving through dry periods and blooming during cool, wet conditions. The fungus turns the turf brown and produces a cotton candy-like material. The pink patches spread in a circular pattern, reaching 2-4 inches in diameter.
If not treated in time, this parasitic lawn fungus can eventually infect the entire area. It’s terribly unsightly and it often requires reseeding and extensive treatment to treat.
What causes parasitic pink patches?
Pink patches in the grass are usually a symptom of other lawn diseases and issues. They may be signs of the following:
● Your backyard is covered with a low-quality type of grass
Certain types of grass are incredibly susceptible to pink patches. For instance, fungal infection is frequent in the Perennial Ryegrass variety. Landscapers use Perennial Ryegrass often since it sprouts more quickly compared with other varieties.
Blending Ryegrass with other turf types also increases the risk of a fungal outbreak on grass-covered spaces, such as your backyard or putting green in Tampa. These are not a problem with synthetic turf, which is completely immune to fungus and other common lawn diseases.
● You’re not watering your lawn correctly
Fungus usually grows when the soil surface is wet while the turf roots are dry, which is why excessive watering can enhance pink patch outbreaks. Watering late in the afternoon is also a huge no-no. It leaves the grass wet all night, stimulating fungal growth.
Again, this is not a problem on a synthetic lawn for a simple reason: you never need to water it. As a result, there are no damp patches that encourage fungal growth.
● Your natural lawn has unhealthy soil
Newer lawns are highly susceptible to fungal diseases because they have yet to build up their soil biology. This takes time, a ton of organic fertilizer and the careful application of lawn chemicals. Tampa synthetic grass doesn’t have this weakness. In fact, installers will excavate the soil before installing the synthetic grass system, which means there’s no opportunity for fungus to take hold.
Treating Pink Patch Disease on a Natural Lawn is a Difficult Task
While it’s possible to treat pink patch disease, it’s not easy. Most homeowners find it a tedious process and, in many cases, even treatment fails to eradicate the disease completely. Here’s a quick look at what it takes to fight off pink patches:
- Feed the grass. Implement a balanced fertility program for your lawn. The healthier a yard is, the better its resistance to pink patch.
- Manage the thatch. Unkempt thatches can block the oxygen supply of turf roots during rainy periods. Remove them before they grow to an inch.
- Do not use herbicides during active infection. Some types can encourage the growth of leaf spots and other diseases.
- Keep the mower sharp and clean. Prevent blade wounding and increase the risk of infection by using a well-maintained mower.
- Prune shrubs and trees. Trim the plants around the grass to increase sunlight exposure and improve air circulation.
In contrast, going synthetic not only resolves pink patch disease, but also protects your lawn from other diseases that can infect natural grass.
Artificial Turf in Tampa FL: The Permanent Solution for Lawn Disease
Eliminate lawn diseases for good with the help of our synthetic grass pros! Cover your grounds with synthetic turf to get the following benefits:
- Mimics the look and feel of real grass
- Made from eco-friendly, sustainable materials
- No need for watering, fertilizing and other lawn treatments
- Soft to the touch
- Zero dirt and mud
- Non-toxic and non-allergenic
- Invulnerable to lawn disease
- Can be designed in any way you want!